Wednesday, March 12, 2008

small bits

I haven’t posted for little bit because I have been sick and out of it... A lot of people in my program have also come down with something, so I’m sure our very close contact allows for the easy transfer of germs. It seems just to be a common cold, so I’m hoping it will get better fast.

Tomorrow is my last day of class before a two-week long vacation. Next week is Semana Santa, and the following week is a continuation, to a lesser degree, of the festivities. This Sunday, I am going to the beach with a few friends. It’s called Barra de Navidad and it is supposed to be a relatively quiet, untouristy beach. I have made it my mission to make sure I go to the beach, so that meant having to make all the reservations and bus tickets, which has ended up taking hours upon hours. I’m sure it will pay off though and will be a nice respite from Guanajuato. When I get back, I will stick around the city for a few days and see all the Semana Santa happenings, and then the next week I will go out into the country to volunteer in a small pueblo with children. And then that Thursday, my parents are coming! I am very very excited.

There is a lot to post about what’s being going on here, but I have to go study for a test tomorrow. But I will leave you with two things.

One, religion has been surrounding me lately, in every crevice of life. In one day there was a mass outside my house, a lunch discussion about abortion and God, a movie about the end of the world and needing to believe, preparation for Semana Santa, and a sign on a door that said – “Catholics live here. Propaganda from any other religion will not be accepted.”

Second thing: two days ago right before I arrived at my house, I walked by a man holding a gigantic cow’s head on his shoulders.

Will post again soon, hope everyone is well.

No comments: