Sunday, April 27, 2008

not enough time

I have become really pathetic about writing, but like I mentioned in my last post, it's because I've been pretty busy. I am loving Guanajuato more and more everyday, which is upsetting in many ways because I have less than four weeks here. I know this happens with almost every study abroad experience, but it's very sad to finally be finding your place somewhere right when you have to pack up and leave.

I have been making a lot more Mexican friends and deepening the already existing friendships. This last week I have hung out with my friend Jose non-stop, which is great because not only do I like his company but he has introduced me to so much here. His family consists of a lot of business men/women and politicians, so he has connections everywhere, which enables a lot of inexpensive adventures. For instance, we can go to museums for free, or go swimming at a hotel (which his best friend's family owns)... But best of all, he has a motorcycle. We have had three excursions this week where he took me all over the city, often to places I had never been. The motorcycle provides for a lot of freedom that is impossible to obtain with my two feet. Yesterday I went to a party at his house with his family that lasted from 3 pm to 12 am. Jose lives in a hotel/apartment building which his family owns, so the party was in the lobby. It was great to be around so many Mexicans of all different ages, eating and drinking for hours and just having a lot of fun.

Another amazing day was Wednesday, when I went to this thermal spa type place up an alley way in Guanajuato. I went with the other students in my program and we sat in this circular room which was insanely hot, full of steaming rocks and oils and water. It is somewhat of a spiritual experience, made to recreate the sensations of the womb. It was wonderful and I stayed for four hours, exfoliating my body with salts and laughing with my friends.

Right now, I am sitting at the internet cafe with Mary (my dad's ex wife), who studied in Guanajuato for a few months in 2001. So she is back to visit and see the country and just vacation, while I enjoy her company. We met up for the first time today and later we will meet in the plaza for a beer (or two).

So that's all for now. Hope everyone is well... I will try to update more often from now on.

No comments: