Tuesday, May 13, 2008

may

A little less than two weeks left. I am sitting in the language center at the university, waiting for another thirty minutes before I meet a boy who I am going to help with his English. We have tried to meet three times with no success, so hopefully this time we actually make it happen.

I am pretty tired but still happy. Like I mentioned earlier, I´ve had to actually start doing homework lately (that is, homework that takes more than thirty minutes) so that hasn´t been the most fun. But through my major project about sex education, I´ve held some really fascinating interviews that further deepen my interest in this topic.

I´m still hanging out with Jose a lot - or more so, his family. They are unbelievably kind and down to earth. His mother is very young and hip and fun to be around. It will be sad to leave them.

Tomorrow one of my closest friends leaves because he wants to get back for his graduation. However, he lives in South Carolina so we´ve already made lots of plans to see each other before he leaves for Germany for his fulbright...

In general, I have been doing a lot of winding down activities. Monday we had a group lunch with our directors. Tonight we´re having a party at my Spanish teacher´s house. And Saturday I am throwing a party at my house. I´m going to attempt to make Sangria and some other good food/drinks.

The news of the earthquake is China was pretty upsetting. I´ve been looking at the pictures online and reading the news, and it is just truly horrifying. It´s interesting how much attention is being focused on the school and the 900 children trapped underneath. We feel so much more when a child is hurt, I suppose because they are innocent, but in this case every single person is innocent... and yet. And then next to the headline about the earthquake is something about a new Nissan model.

That´s all for now. I´ll try to get more pictures up as soon as I can find a fast connection.

No comments: